13.9.08

After being in Athens for three weeks now, I can confidently say that there are many things I already love about this city. To begin with, the food is wonderfully delicious and I don’t think I’ll ever grow tired of eating fresh tomatoes and feta. There are also many cafes and tavernas within walking distance and I hope to be able to try many new dishes while I’m here. Being able to walk everywhere in this city is a great way to explore the area and see the sites along the way. It is possible to pass a handful of historic temples and monuments while aimlessly wandering throughout the city. Even if you get lost, it won’t be long until you come across a familiar landmark, and it’s more than likely you’ll discover something really interesting along the way.

My family and I have already seen a few of these sites, such as the Acropolis, Agora, and Temple of Olympian Zeus. Each place amazes me and I often wonder if the locals could ever take for granted the incredible piece of history that’s in their own backyard. I’m really glad that I will be able to see these sites multiple times over the course of the next few months.

Although my first impression of Athens was a mix of wonder and excitement, city life is very different from the smaller towns I’m used to living in. The city offers so much more to do and see, but I don’t think that I’ll permanently get used to the insane amount of traffic or the loud noises that continue through all hours of the night. I’m looking forward to exploring other parts of Greece and Europe, and our vacation to the islands is something that I’m very excited about!

No comments: